• Home /
  • Latest News / Gordon backs student fundraiser Molly in efforts to help Bangladeshi women in education

Gordon backs student fundraiser Molly in efforts to help Bangladeshi women in education

Gordon has met with constituent Molly Powell, a 20-year-old student at Liverpool University, who is raising funds for the continuation of the International Citizen Service (ICS).

Gordon_and_Molly_Powell.jpg

The ICS provide voluntary placements for students such as Molly to overseas countries, who in the summer will travel out to Bangladesh for ten weeks to help girls in education.

Gordon met with Molly at his constituency office to discuss how she became involved in the initiative and why she is fundraising for the ICS and the different fundraising events she is pursing. She is currently volunteering with the Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO), which supports the ICS with their efforts to tackle poverty overseas.

After meeting Molly, Gordon commented: “I was very pleased to meet Molly and hear about her exciting plans to go to volunteer in Bangladesh over the summer - she is a credit to her family and the local community with her work. As someone who is passionate about education, I know how crucial it is to improving people’s life chances and opportunities, wherever they are in the world.”

The History and Politics student has decided to volunteer with the VSO in Bangladesh to help young Bangladeshi’s to become more involved in local governance, education whilst also raising awareness of their sexual and reproductive health rights.

As part of her voluntary placement Molly needs to raise money for the continuation of the ICS program (90% is funded through the Department for International Development, with the remaining 10% of the funding being raised by their volunteers).

She has decided to raise her funds through cake sales and an exhilarating skydive. She has also set up a Just-Giving page so that members of the public can donate – https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/molly-powell1

Do you like this post?

Reactions

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.

The Labour Party will place cookies on your computer to help us make this website better.

Please read this to review the updates about which cookies we use and what information we collect on our site.

To find out more about these cookies, see our privacy notice. Use of this site confirms your acceptance of these cookies.